Thursday 8 November 2012

I Quit Sugar: week 1

On October 29 I started an experiment to quit sugar and for the next 8 weeks this blog will document my efforts. It felt like all I thought about for the first few days was sugar and how much I am going to miss it.. like I had lost a limb. Today, day 10.. not so much.

How I felt: apart from the usual work related headaches, fine. Did have a longing feeling for something sweet sometimes.

What I learnt: there is alot of sugar in tomatoe paste and maple syrup.

Peer attitude: when people find out they sometimes try to make you eat sugar or keep looking at your sideways waiting for you to crumble!

What I did well: eating out. We ate at a few cafes on the weekend and there were heaps of good choices.. probably could have chosen better on Sunday though. Planning lunches so we were prepared for the week.. although tinned fish and rice cakes isn't' exactly my ideal lunch. Ryan has been going great too, I'm very proud of him for resisting all the sweets at work.

What I didn't do well: eating at friends houses. There was not so many good choices but luckily we had bought a veggie platter to snack on and soda water. However, when dessert came out we did share what ever was on offer.

Good food: green smoothies have been the perfect mid morning snack. I'm currently working my way through the freezer to get rid of all frozen fruit in preparation for week 3 so I'm going to need ideas for fruit free smoothies..

Not so good food: natural yogurt is so tart and it's pretty hard to get through a kilo tub worth. I used some of it to make hummus but there is still heaps left. Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is starting to take over from coffee in the mornings.. I'm getting used to it.

FOOD DIARY

MONDAY
Breakfast: yogurt with granola, coffee
Lunch: sardines on rice cakes, carrot sticks, kiwi fruit
Snacks: green smoothie, nuts
Dinner: roast potato, homemade pitta bread pizza

TUESDAY
B: pumpkin egg hash, berry tea
L: leftover pitta bread pizza
S: green tea, nuts
D: beef & carrot ginger stir fry

WEDNESDAY
B: rye bread with eggs & mushroom omelette, apple cider vinegar
L: salmon and rice cakes
S: carrot sticks, smoothie
D: Crust pizza

THURSDAY
B: rye bread with eggs
L: roast potatoes
S: berry tea
D: haloumi on pitta bread

FRIDAY
B: Vegemite on rye toast
L: pumpkin and haloumi salad
S: smoothie
D: carrot, crackers & dip, BBQ chicken, sausage, cheese, salad, 1/2 cupcake, 1 bite of lemon slice.* (friends house)

SATURDAY
B: bacon, hash brown, mushrooms, avocado, poached egg, coffee.
L: snapper, asparagus, capsicum, dukkah (cafe)
S: chai tea, crackers
D: bowtie pasta with peas, bacon, mint, cream (friends house)

SUNDAY
B: vegemite on pumpkin seed bread, blueberry smoothie, ACV
L: aranchini balls, corn fritters, lebanese salad (cafe)
D: chicken burrito with avocado, cucumber, tomato
S: soda water

*I feel a bit silly writing "1 bite of lemon slice" but I did eat it so everything will be going on here!




No comments:

Post a Comment