Tuesday 13 November 2012

I Quit Sugar: week 2

On October 29 I started an experiment to quit sugar and for the next 8 weeks this blog will document my efforts. Week 1 & 2 are fairly gentle, the real sugar elimination comes in week 3. 

How I felt: fine! Ryan said he is feeling pretty tired in the afternoons. 

What I learnt: cacao powder is pricey. Dried chick peas are tasty. Finding a tasty cereal with no sugar for Ryan is hard. 


Peer attitude: we broke the news to Ryan's parents at a picnic..and then they offered us chocolate biscuits. I resisted! It's funny half the people we tell have had a little laugh then after they will then tell us they are trying to cut down sugar too. (and then drink apple drink..) Some friends were very accommodating and even asked if we are eating pasta (that is a big yes, of course!)


What I did well: I found myself stuck at the shopping centre a few times after work so I was tired and hungry/thirsty..  so instead of going to Boost or Gloria Jeans I went to T2 and sampled all their delicious teas.. twice!


What I didn't do well: eating out. We went out for Persian food one night and we thought our curry tasted really sweet.. turns out they actually put honey in it! Also, when I get bored and some one offers me food I will eat it (e.g.: apple date muffins.. I don't even like date muffins.. ever, nor did I enjoy the taste)


Good food: I ate a lot of roast pumpkin and rocket this week.. I love it! And a lot of avocado it seems. I could eat these things every day for a log time I think. We cleared out the freezer of all the fruit in there so we had a heap of smoothies.


Not so good food: I bought a KILO of natural yogurt and it is so tart but I didn't want to waste it so I put what was left of the maple syrup on top.. that made it edible. Note to self: don't buy natural yogurt.


FOOD DIARY


MONDAY

Breakfast: apple cider vinegar (acv), wholegrain burrito with scrambled egg, mushrooms & tomato, blueberry peach smoothie
Snack: nuts, coffee
Lunch: pumpkin, rocket, fetta salad. Carrot with hummus dip
Dinner: BBQ kebabs, grilled corn, grilled asparagus, sausage rolls. (friends house)
Dessert: 1/2 chocolate covered strawberry, bite of lemon slice, spoon of cheesecake***

TUESDAY

B: acv, poached egg on sourdough with fetta and rocket, berry smoothie
L: pumpkin, chicken, rocket fetta salad. Carrot with hummus dip
S: licorice root tea, nuts
D: prawn and parsley spaghetti, white wine (friends house)

WEDNESDAY

B: acv, vegemite on sourdough
L: pumpkin, chicken, rocket fetta salad. Carrot with hummus dip
S: tea, water, T2 tea
D: pork belly with stirfry veggies (restaurant)

THURSDAY

B: avocado on sourdough, earl grey tea, natural yogurt (with maple syrup) with walnuts
L: salmon with rocket, avocado, hummus 
S: homemade ice tea
D: cous cous with chorizo, chilli, corn and sour cream

FRIDAY

B: avocado on sourdough, earl grey tea
S: T2 tea, carrots
L: bean spaghetti
D: chicken chili soup

SATURDAY

B: avocado on sourdough with bacon and poached egg, earl grey tea
S: apple date muffin, 1/2 hot dog
L: pumpkin, beetroot, fetta, pecan salad (cafe)
D: butter chicken curry, naan bread, lamb skewers, white rice

SUNDAY

B: earl grey tea, granola with milk
L: chicken chili soup leftovers
S: dried chick peas, licorice root tea
D: pork, roast potatoes, peas and corn

***I still think it's a bit pedantic to write such tiny amounts down but I am documenting everything on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment